Suicides occur every day. Today on World Suicide Prevention Day, we will consider how prevention is important in Indian society and to emphasize on mental health. India is a large country with a population of 1.37 billion while China has a population of 1.42 billion.
If we consider the suicide rate among the 194 member countries of the World Health Organization (WHO), then India and China account for 40 percent or more. There are 800,000 annual suicide deaths globally.
Statistics of suicide in India?
In our country, more than 100,000 people commit suicide every year. There are many reasons for suicide such as professional / career problems, feeling of isolation, abuse, violence, family problems, mental disorders, alcohol addiction, financial loss, chronic pain, etc.
According to suicide statistics recorded NCRB suicide cases. A total of 1,39,123 suicides were recorded in the country during 2019, an increase of 3.4%, and a suicide rate of 0.2% during 2019 as compared to 2018.
A large number of suicides (18,916) were recorded in Maharashtra, followed by Tamil Nadu (13,493) suicides, West Bengal (12,665) suicides, Madhya Pradesh (12,457) suicides, and Karnataka (11,288) suicides, respectively. Includes 13.6%, 9.7%, 9.1%, 9.0% and 8.1%.
These 5 states together account for 49.5% of the total suicides reported in the country. The remaining 50.5% of suicides were reported in 24 states and 7 union territories. Uttar Pradesh, the most populous state (16.9% of the country’s population) has a relatively low percentage of suicide mortality (only 3.9% of the total suicides recorded in the country).
The male to female ratio of overall suicides was 70.2: 29.8 for the year 2019, which is higher than the year 2018 (68.5: 31.5). Which had a higher proportion of female victims in marriage issues (especially dowry issues), and impotence / infertility. Age groups (18 – 30 years old and under 30 years of age 45 years were highest suicides. 35.1% and 31.8% suicides occurred in these age groups respectively.
In which ‘family problems’ (2,468),’ Exam failure ‘(1,577),’ love affairs’ (1,297) and ‘sickness’ (923) were the main causes of suicide among children (under 18).
Important to emphasize Mental health
Our overall mental health is as important as our physical health. When we try to keep our body, dress, and the custom shirt fit and healthy, it is necessary to keep our mind fit and strong as well.
However, most of us have no idea how to keep our mental health in tiptop shape, and how we can understand those who are experiencing mental health concerns. Because even today in Indian society, people do not want to accept this thing even if they talk about mental health.
But the truth is that today almost half of the young generation around the world is facing mental health problems. Most of them are experiencing various forms of depression and anxiety due to work pressure, family concerns, and poor self-esteem.
In addition, people who are facing a lot of dangerous activities are likely to cause serious complications. However, it is sad to know that even today in our society, others dismiss this concern as a drama or it is postponed by saying, “Oh nothing happened, you are all right”. And mental health has an important role in the cause of suicide.
If we talk about the factors, then these include much CJs like discrimination (all types, color, caste, religion, work area, etc.), social environment, harassment, beautification, social media, family environment, etc. are the main ones. The most mentally disturbed people today are the youth, LGBTQ community.
How to prevent –
Methods and treatments for suicide prevention are based on the patient’s risk factors. In addition to preventing thoughts and acts of suicide, treatments are prescribed in view of underlying (underlying) conditions.
If someone is suffering from a mental disorder, a treatment plan is made to treat the condition. One of the most common suicide prevention techniques is psychotherapy – also known as talk therapy. It is mainly known as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or Dialectical Behavior Therapy.
Also Read: Indian Soldiers Holding on Finger-4.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy is a common treatment option for individuals suffering from various mental disorders. In this method of psychotherapy, we teach new ways of coping with stress and stressful life experiences.
In this manner, when suicidal thoughts arise, individuals can redirect those thoughts and confront them in a different way rather than attempting to end their lives.